Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Meet Cesar...


So last Saturday, March 26th I had to miss training...it wasn't an easy decision but we were moving homes and I was exhausted and my family needed me home. When I say it wasn't an easy decision I mean that...literally...because what you realize when you are involved in TNT is that we (healthy individuals) have choices - tons of choices every day that we (sometimes) take for granted. Unfortunately, our honored heros do NOT have these same choices. They don't have the choice to say, "I'm too tired, so I'm skipping treatment today." You will hear runners who run events for organizations like TNT...say "we run for those that can't" and they mean it from their heart.

So our 3rd honored hero this season is Cesar. Cesar is the husband of D'. I met D' back in August 2009 on the winter run team. I have heard their story a couple times but asked D' to write the following so I didn't miss any details...
Cesar was diagnosed with Lymphoma back in the 90s, so long ago that I don't even remember exactly when it was. He went through chemotherapy fairly easily the first time and was declared clear. Eight months later, it was back and it really came roaring back. The doctors gave him a 20-30% chance of making it. I'm really proud of Cesar. He took treatments in stride. He always said that his body had cancer and it was just a disease and he was not going to be consumed by it. And that's exactly what he did. He continued to work and play, having a glass of wine or a cigar – with the blessings of his doctor. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it kept him sane and happy, so it was probably exactly what he needed.

He eventually needed to have a bone marrow transplant, but no donor was found, so he had an autologous bone marrow transplant. After wiping out his immune system, it was a few months of staying out of crowds and spending most of his time at home. He was again declared clear and this time it stuck!

He's been cancer free for 16 years. His daughter got us started with TNT, by running in 2008 for a son of a friend and her father. We went to watch her run the San Diego Rock & Roll marathon and caught the bug. Cesar had a heart attack a couple of years ago. Doctors think that it might have been a consequence of the radiation he had during cancer treatment. He's overcome that also and has the heart, both physically and figuratively, of a healthy, strong person, so much so that he is now doing half marathons himself and says he's going to do a full.

We have been blessed.


Picture: Cesar Miranda & D' Forman at Tyler Rose Half Marathon

GO CESAR! GO TEAM!


share on: FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment