Monday, February 27, 2012

Prayers for Nory


Meet Nory Mae...I first heard about Nory on February 15 from a friend, Berkley. Berkley mentioned Nory at dinner as she is friends with the parents (they are from the area) and that the doctors couldn't determine what was wrong with her...she is only 2 years old.


The next morning Berkley posted on Facebook that Nory was diagnosed with CML (Chronic myelogenous leukemia). A type of leukemia that is normally seen in older adult males. My heart went out to her family and I just couldn't believe that another child was going to have to battle cancer. The good news was that CML is treatable long term (in most cases you can live with it) as in your take chemo at certain times the rest of your life. Seems strange you can live with cancer but the more I find out about blood cancers the more I see this.


However, 2 days later Nory's parents received more news...and news they weren't hoping for. The oncologists believe that she has an underlying issue called MDS that caused the CML. But with this condition the leukemia will eventually become AML (Acute myelogenous leukemia) and the best cure for many patients with AML is a bone marrow transplant...so the search for a bone marrow match began.


I immediately reached out to the family to help and Nory's parents asked (if needed) would I help with a bone marrow drive. Our Triathlon mentor, Bill, jumped on board too. He is a survivor himself and has CLL (Chronic lymphocytic leukemia) and contacted the necessary parties to get things moving.


BUT...it just so happens that one of Nory's brother's is a MATCH! This is incredible news and a true gift from God. The study I read states there is about a 35% chance that siblings are a match.


As of today, that is all I know. I follow her story and all the updates on their FB page. Bill (our mentor) and I hope that we will meet them soon and have included Nory in our honored heros. Bill has dedicated his training this season to Nory!


I know (like most of you) that no parent EVER wants to hear the words "Your child has cancer" but I believe that something good comes can come from this and that is the friends, family and even strangers that surround that family when they are most in need. I believe that is God...holding that child and family as close to him as possible and showing them the vast network of individuals that will help them get through this journey.


So what am I asking?

  • First and foremost I'm asking that you add Nory Mae and her family to your prayer list.
  • Second consider becoming a donor for Be the Match.
  • Third if you are able please make a small donation to our fundraising efforts in honor of Nory and her journey to becoming cancer-free.
If you'd like more information on blood cancers and current statistics please download Facts 2012 published by The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.


share on: FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment