Monday, September 19, 2011

9 + Peer Pressure = 22.1 miles


This weekend was full of running to say the least...22.1 miles to be exact. I didn't plan it that way but peer pressure got the best of me : )

In all honesty, the marathon training schedule calls for a 20 mile run 3 weeks before race day and Sunday was exactly 3 weeks out from Chicago Marathon. But two weeks ago Robin and I ran our 20 mile training run. It was hard...not gonna lie. It wasn't the best of training runs we've had but we got through it. So with three weeks out I needed a confidence booster.

Jessica, Tony (Jessica's Dad) and Serene had signed up for the Plano Balloon Festival Half Marathon. And like all good running friends...Jessica and Serene applied a good amount of peer pressure to sign up. So not wanting to feel left out and using the excuse that it would be a great 'training' race I signed up...on Saturday. Yes, the day before! Not to mention that Saturday is our TEAM run day so I ran 6 miles with the team and finished it off with a 3 mile walk with Allie. (Yep 9 miles the day before the race!)


I had no idea what the race course would be like but I was determined to at least run a decent race. I needed to log these miles and I needed to feel good about it. I ran a good amount of the course with Serene and we had a great time catching up. The course had some rolling hills...not horrible but not what I was hoping for.

But when it came down to it...I crossed the finish line and I was happy! It wasn't my best time nor my worst but all in all I had a great day. I was happy with my average pace and am hoping to carry that forward to Chicago. What made it even better...Will and the kids decided to come to the festival and were at the finish line!
And when I got home from work today...I had a surprise in the mail. My Chicago Marathon confirmation ticket! 18 days to go and I think I'm ready.



share on: FACEBOOK

1 comment:

  1. Peer Pressure? Noooooo. No idea what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete