Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Perfect Weekend


This weekend was packed full of GOOD things:

1) First, Grayson, my honored hero was home from the hospital after spending 36 out of 45 days there. Kalee (his mom) said they got to spend a lazy weekend all together which brought lots of smiles and laughter.

Wanna know what a HERO looks like? Check him out below before being released from the hospital. The image of him taking his own medicine bought back a flood of memories of Allie towards the end of her treatment when she was old enough to hold the syringe herself. Children are resilient when it comes to battling cancer. Not to mean they don't have bad days...but they adapt quickly to a "new normal".


2) Allie, my 17 year old niece, completed the 2011 Susan G Komen Dallas 3 day walk with her teacher...60 miles in 3 days! We cheered for her on Saturday and then went to the closing ceremony Sunday. It is a huge event...which raised $7 million.

She walked in honor of my Mom who celebrated 20 years of being a breast cancer survivor on June 25. She also walked in honor of two other women who are friends of their family & her teacher's Aunt. Doesn't she look awesome after walking 60 miles? I am so proud of her! Stay tuned because Allie will be telling about her 3 day journey on the blog soon!


3. Last, I ran DRC Half marathon on Sunday morning. It was new event for me and one I probably wasn't fully prepared for. Chicago full was about 4 weeks ago and my training has been sporadic since, but I wanted to run it anyway. Jessica ran it as well along with David & Meg. Jessica and I stayed together for the duration of the race. She was coming off a 32 mile week already. Her increased miles coupled with my decreased miles made for an interesting race to say the least. The course was hilly...for some reason I thought it was going to be flat. At about mile 10 I just wanted to be done and when that happens I think about my honored heros and I also thought about Allie walking the final 15 miles of her journey with blistered feet...so I pushed on the best I could. I'm actually pretty proud of my finishing time (2:13:30) because it was just shy of my PR at Dallas RnR this past March (2:12:46). Granted I know in running 44 seconds can mean a lot but to me...I ran 44 seconds shy of my PR on a course that (to me) was much harder.


One last note, most of you know that Georgia comes along on all my long runs & races in the form of her orange "Keepin Georgia on your Mind" bracelet. Well I wanted to bring Grayson along too...I've ordered some green (his fav color) Team Grayson bracelets but they hadn't arrived, so I went with a green rubberband instead. Grayson ran his first 13.1 miles! That coupled with him home with his family made for a perfect weekend!




share on: FACEBOOK

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to you and Allie on your events! So happy to hear Grayson had a good weekend at home.

    ReplyDelete